The physical environment of a Green House home is designed to transform the institutional nursing facility into a residential environment that is home to ten Elders. Each home is reflective of those in the surrounding community and is characterized by elements that are “warm, smart, and green”. A warm home is a welcoming place of comfort, safety and refuge. The interior materials, colors, and furnishings project a sense of warmth for those living and working in the home. The Elders’ private bedrooms allow ample sunlight and are clustered around a shared living room with a hearth, an open kitchen and dining area. Smart technology is used in The Green House model, to create a comfortable and safe environment. As opposed to technology that focuses on staff and organizational efficiency, smart technology is used to foster the well-being of Elders and those who work with Elders. A green environment refers to one which supports growth through meaningful interactions with life enhancing natural resources, such as plants, natural light, and therapeutic outdoor spaces.
We will offer:
- Private rooms
- Three meals a day with choices about what you eat
- Assistance with bathing and personal hygiene
- Certified and licensed nursing staff to monitor your progress and help manage medications
- Recreational programs
- Medicaid, Medicare and private long-term care insurance accepted
- 24 Hour Nursing Staff
- Rehabilitation services provide by physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Private/Secure Patios & Gardens
SunPorch is a nonprofit Kansas corporation. Our goals are:
- To provide the Green House® Home http://www.thegreenhouseproject.org for elders in every community enhancing their quality of life.
- To create a company that will achieve financial objectives, expand under a controlled management environment, and lead in the quality of services for our elders, especially in rural Kansas.
- Attract and retain competent and caring employees by providing good training, competitive compensation and opportunities for personal and professional growth.
SunPorch of Smith Center is governed by a volunteer board of directors. We are a 501c3 designated organization by the Internal Revenue Service which allows for gifts and grants provided to us to be tax deductible.
The estimated cost of the entire project once completed is $10 million creating over 200 jobs. Our Phase I will consist of 2 Greenhouses with 10 skilled beds each and one twelve unit assisted living building. Phase II will provide additional skilled, assisted units and add a new level of care independent living apartments. Once the campus reaches full occupancy, it will employ 70 FTE’s and have an operating budget of $4.2 million. Funding will be a combination of a loan from USDA rural development, Local Initiatives Support Corporation, grants and private donations.
Tammy Pettijohn is our administrator. Tammy is a resident of Smith County and has a license as an adult care home Adminstrator with the state of Kansas. Prior to her position here she served as the Marketing Director of a home health agency.
Questions? Click here to contact us today!